Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Month of May...


The month of May will always have a significant meaning to me. Two years ago this month, I had the opportunity to go to a country in Africa, Madagascar. I am not too quick to make comments like this, but I can honestly say it changed my life. After two months of trying to convince my parents to send their only daughter to a third world country, they paid for me to go. I went for one month with seven people from BYU where we worked in an orphanage and built a kitchen for it. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't think of those kids in Africa. I will always remember the month of May for this. If Nate and my work and school schedules allow us to, we hope to go to the Dominican Republic in November with a group of dentists and doctors. Here's some pictures from the trip.


Homeless...It is extremely common to see a brother the age of this kid, take care of their little brother without parents.

We taught them how to wash their hands and brush their teeth.

They wore the same clothes every day. Their clothes were donated from people around the world.

At the end of our trip, these were actually the nicest beds we slept in the whole time we were there.

6 comments:

H and E said...

Wow what neat pictures, they really captures the circumstances! I hope that you can do to the D.R. and I hope that I can still go as well. It is anothere one of those experiences that will change you!e

Travis and Teresa Wilson said...

I have always wanted to do something like that. I hope it works out that you guys can go again.

Tiffany Morton said...

Hey girl, just checking in with you. How are the braces coming? I love your pics! Talk to you later.

Brent Skipper said...

You can help run my non-profit once I'm a millionaire. You're awesome Lyn.

stacy h. said...

i can't tell you how much i love this post! i especially love the 2nd to last picture of you with the 4 boys. want to go to ghana? that's where sherrie's orphanages are. i want to go in a year or so. i will to bring home and mother all of those children! :) those two little brothers, how heartbreaking. there are so many children that need homes and more importantly a loving family. do any of these children ever get adopted? how likely is it? i'd take them all. quincy needs some brothers! :)

glen, paige, & baby preston said...

i love looking at those pictures! They always make me cry but bring back great memories! That was the most amazing trip and i am so glan i was able to go with you!