Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sugar Coated Pecans


I got this recipe from my sister in-law Jess. She actually has it posted on her blog right now but I thought I would also post it for those who don't know her and check her blog. These pecans are SO good! They taste similar to the holiday nuts they sell around Christmas time! I made a batch today to put on our salads along with strawberries, mandarin oranges, green onions, and blue cheese; also with my mother in-laws homemade poppyseed dressing! They are also yummy just as a snack! Try this recipe, it's easy and good!

INGREDIENTS
1 pound pecan halves

1 egg white
1 tablespoon water

1 cup white sugar (I tried using 1/4 cup brown sugar and 3/4 cups white sugar and liked it)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS

In a mixing bowl, whip together the egg white and water until frothy. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
Add pecans to egg whites, stir to coat the nuts evenly. Remove the nuts, and toss them in the sugar mixture until coated. Spread the nuts out on a foil lined baking sheet (for easy clean up).

Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes.

2 comments:

Adam & Samantha said...

I totally would take that recipe but about a month ago, for the first time in my life, I ate a nut and ended up in the hospital! My throat closed off and apparently, I am highly allergic to nuts now. Just a warning: at any time in life, you can develop an allergy. Sounds yummy though!

Mari Elizabeth Couture said...

Mmmmmmmm that sounds AMAZING. And Sam, HOLY CRAP! I am glad you are okay!!
Also, A quick one that I do for my salads. Throw nuts (any) I use walnuts, in a pan, heat on low & put just enough butter to cover the nuts once butter is melted & the nuts are lightly coated in it- throw in a handful of brown sugar and flip (yes flip!) the nuts will get coated in the brown sugar--cook for just a few min on med so you dont burn. Fine! Thats it, candied walnuts! Quick & delish! I am gonna try yours too!