Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"Americans Are Destroying America"

This post is rather long but is something I feel is so important and is something I have such a passion for. If nothing else, please take the time to read some of the quotes!...

Nate and I have recently been reading the book; An Enemy Hath Done This, by President Ezra Taft Benson, written in 1969. President Benson, former Secretary of Agriculture, wrote this book to warn us of the serious dangers which are threatening our Nation, mostly within. There were many things that amazed both Nate and I as we read this book. He warned our country of certain problems to come. It is unbelievable how every single one of his warnings have come to pass.

In 1942, the First Presidency warned us saying:

"Satan is making a war against all the wisdom that has come to men through their ages of experience. He is seeking to overturn and destroy the very foundations upon which society, government, and religion rest. He aims to have men adopt theories and practices which he induced their forefathers, over the ages, to adopt and try, and only to be discarded by them when found unsound, impractical and ruinous. He plans to destroy liberty and freedom -- economic, political, and religious, and to set up in place thereof the greatest, most widespread, and most complete tyranny that has ever oppressed man. He is working under such perfect disguise that many do not recognize either him or his methods... Without their knowing it, the people are being urged down paths that lead only to destruction. Satan never before had so firm a grip on this generation as he has now."

I truly feel it is not foreign affairs that will destroy this country first, it is what goes on within our country, Americans destroying America. "Great nations are never conquered from the outside unless they are rotten inside... We might survive a nuclear attack -- but we cannot survive (any better than Athens and Rome) moral degeneration and the abandonment of fundamental principles." -Benson

Around 1969, a nationwide survey was taken amongst high school and college students by the U.S. Junior Chamber of Commerce:

-62% said that the government had the responsibility to provide jobs.

-62% thought a worker should not produce all that he can.

-84% denied that patriotism is vital and plays an important part in our lives. (Bookmailer News, Nov. 1, 1965)

Isn't it obvious why our country is currently the way it is?

"We can never survive unless our young people understand and appreciate our American system, which has given more of the good things of life than any other system in the world---unless the have a dedication that exceeds that dedication of the enemy. The old essentials of honesty, self-respect, loyalty, support for law and order, must be taught to the younger generations."

I always knew our country was in debt in the trillions but I found it hard to imagine how much a trillion dollars actually was. Benson puts it into perspective. An average indebtedness of $5,200 dollars for EVERY SINGLE person in the US! Keep in mind this book was written exactly forty years ago.

As I may not agree with everything that Obama represents and stands for, I have hope that this country can become better. Last night, both McCain and Obama asked us to become unified as a country. For the first time in a long time, I actually feel some sort of hope. Last night Obama said, "If there is anyone out there that still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders are alive in our times, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer." I can only hope this to be true.

"I have a profound faith in America. I am confident that when the American people read from the record...and become fully cognizant of the extent of the crime and corruption which fester in our midst, they will demand action...The principal and basic weapon that must be provided is a resurgence of old-fashioned morality in the nation. Apathy must go; it needs to be replaced by the outraged righteousness of a people who rose to greatness in this world through the spiritual values that their forefathers wrote into the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States...We cannot, we must not, shirk our responsibility...This challenge can be, and it must be, faced with resolute purpose and effort."
John L. McClellan, United States Senator
Chairman, Government Operations Committee


Seriously, read this book!!!


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Lyn. Quotes are spoken from a true Prophet. The rest from my little politician of a daughter.

This country needs more who share the same passion for good as you do.

Love ya,
mom

Nate and Lynlee said...

Thanks motherist (I know you love it when I call you that!) If you didn't teach me how important it was to have a family, and stay at home with my kiddies, I might have become the next Sarah Palin. Well the revised version that is!

H and E said...

THanks for sharing Lynlee. I love your passion for life and everything that can improve it. I agree with you and will definately need to pick up this book.

I miss you!

Adam & Samantha said...

i totally agree. to be honest, i think obama is very smart and eloquent, but having him as president made me nervous as he is not that experienced and other world leaders may view him as young and weak. However, after last night and the speeches from Obama and McCain, I agree that we must be unified. At this point, that is all that matters. Thanks for your post!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post, I definately am going to try and read that book. I agree with all that you said, and hope and pray that we can come together as a nation and do what is needed to overcome these trials. All I know is that I am so greatful to have this church to guide me in a time like this!

Chase and Nahomi said...

Lynlee this post is very well said. I agreee with you one hundred percent on your thoughts and I NEED to get my hands on one of those books, I think it could give me a little more piece of mind. It's amazing what our prophets know and what they warn us about years before hand.

Autumn & Derrick Turley said...

AGREED! I love reading posts like this. It literally renews my faith that good people are all around us. While we may not be as "loud" as some of our liberal friends, it's good to know that we have others around us that hold true to basic and fundamental morals. I feel like it's getting to the point where "We cannot, we must not, shirk our responsibility...This challenge can be, and it must be, faced with resolute purpose and effort."

We can be protest buddies when action needs to take place:)

Great post Lynlee.

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

Lynlee--

It is reassuring to hear conservatives (i assume you are conservative, please correct me if I am wrong) say that she is hopeful of a more united country. All Americans should be hoping and praying that Obama is successful; our success depends on his success.

On a related note, I am interested in knowing why, if at all, you supported McCain and/or a conservative ideology. I would be eager to hear what you consider to be the relative merits of the politicians/party platforms. If you would rather not post them here in a public forum, perhaps you would be so kind as to email them to me. I think nate has my email. Thanks